Friday, February 5, 2021

Fabulous February

Ha ha! I couldn't even keep a straight face typing that title. What's fabulous about February? (Sincere apologies to anyone with a birthday or other special occasion in February. And yeah, okay, Valentine's Day is all fine and dandy, but frankly I could take or leave it.) Despite February's enduring status as a drab gray month, I'm leaving the title as-is. Let's focus on the positives, shall we?

Today's Musing: Fabulous Names in Fiction
I'm currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. My oldest, Tween Queen, began reading the series for the first time a few months ago, so I thought now would be a good time to dive back in. Then Colin decided to finally read the books for the first time, too! Reading them again has reminded me that J.K. Rowling came up with a plethora of fantastic names throughout the books. I'd be hard-pressed to pick just one as my favorite, but my current name-crushes are Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mundungus Fletcher (oh yeah, he's totally nicknamed "Dung"), and Bellatrix Lestrange.

Awesome Sauce of the Day: Posable Plush Strong Bad
Lemme give a HUGE shout out to my friend Lindsy for alerting me to this fantastic toy from Fangamer. I would say I didn't even know how much I needed this guy in my life, but I did. I totally did. Having a Strong Bad plush has been a dream of mine since the early 2000s. And now...
My dreams have come true!

He's reasonably posable and says/sings 15 different phrases from the Strong Bad emails of old. "Everybody to the limit," "I'm gonna have to...jump," "holy crap," they're all there. My kids have watched most of the Homestar Runner content and are enamored of him as well. As a bonus, 3.5-year-old His Blondness is probably going to be saying the word "crap" now more than he already does. Can't wait till he goes to preschool and even more people find out what amazing parents he has.

Pinterest-Unworthy Photo of the Day: Avocado Toast

It was only a few months ago (or maybe more like a year -- the pandemic has messed with my sense of time) that I first attempted this dish. I'd heard of it here and there for a while, and then I noticed it on a menu board at a local coffee shop. I didn't order it, but I shamelessly stole the toppings idea; the menu might say "sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and black sesame seeds," but what I read was, "everything bagel seasoning*." Oh friends, it does not disappoint! I like it best on half a bagel with some cheese under the mashed avocado. You can use whatever cheese you like, and I'll pretend my favorite is something classier than American.

Fugly green goodness

*I get my excellent everything bagel seasoning at Aldi. The McCormick kind tastes like straight garlic powder and is terrible.

Excitement for this Weekend: Pizzzzzzzzza

The plan is to get pizza for dinner tomorrow. Nobody's complaining. We thought it would be better to get it tomorrow than on Sunday when every pizza place in the country will be slammed with orders for "the big game." I hope the NFL police don't notice that the pizza place we plan to patronize is totally using the forbidden words that rhyme with "Pooper Troll" to advertise. 

Speaking of rhyming, I just noticed that I unintentionally rhymed in that last sentence. Seems it's time to sign off. Later gators! 

No comments:

Post a Comment